View Profile Will

All 46 Audio Reviews

27 w/ Responses

KK's been getting singing lessons from Boyfriend

milkypossum responds:

Nah K.K. is the blueprint. K.K. walked so boyfriend could run

Fun and great mix! There we go!

We dit it !!! Thank you very much Will =]

Hey, that's Take 5!

I love your compositions dude. Will say though, I personally feel like the ones I've heard sit in a weird gray area between chiptune and not. They have a really narrow mix and choice of instruments/drums that evoke chiptune, but none of the limitation. I think I'd like to see you either a) get into Famitracker and embrace the true 4-channel chiptune workflow or b) stick to the synth sound, but expand and widen your mixes, both horizontally (more stereo width) and vertically (deeper bass, higher highs, fuller frequency spread).

Keep it up!

Burner98 responds:

Hello, Will, glad you like my work.
Thank you very much for your criticism, it's much appreciated (and I agree with all of it).
These "8-bit style tracks" are indeed not true chiptune as I've never bothered to learn tracker software (was intimidated by the interface), I've resorted to basic synthesizer sounds for the 8-bit "illusion", and also using bitcrushed drum samples for the rhythm part. Basically it's 8-bit sounds but not 8-bit music as it's all done in FL20, generally unmixed (the limiter is shielding my ears from a bad mix).

As a fun tidbit, I usually write my melodies this way and if it sounds good I move on to higher quality VSTs (M1, Wavestation, Diva) and take the time to mix and master, otherwise I just shelf it or lazily mix it for Newgrounds to test the waters.

Thank you !

Fantastic and so clean

Love it, especially the section halfway through!

PUH'IN ON DA REEEEEEEETZ

This is fun! Love the exploration of chords and odd melodies.

I did find it a little hard to follow, and my advice would be to work towards a stronger sense of direction in both writing and mixing.

Writing-wise, the song doesn't seem to move between states, e.g. loud/quiet, simple/complex, but kinda stays in a place of fun chaos. The chords also bounce around a little aimlessly. Once the drums started changing up in the second half I was really starting to get lost.

Mixing-wise, there's not really anything in front for us to focus on -- all the elements, especially the flute/keys and slap bass, are in the front competing for attention. If the flute is the main focus for a section, the slap bass can ride quieter in the back and still be fun.

Just my two cents -- and all those little issues come about because of the fun you're having and the interesting stuff you're exploring! Keep at it!

Burner98 responds:

Thank you very much for your comment, your criticism is much appreciated ! =]

Love this

Whole album is a joy

Like the experimentation in this one, fun and flexible

Digital artist, podcaster and musicman (he/him/his)

Will Kommor 🌵 @Will